The secret to delicious flank steak is the marinade. It requires this step to break down the fibers and make for a tender bite, and if you can plan ahead of time by just a couple of hours, it will do the trick. Marinate the beef between two and 24 hours. This is the kind of meal that is perfect to decide upon for dinner on the same day. The delicious beefy flavors get a bright kick from the Chimichurri. Don’t forget when it’s time to cook, to heat your All American Reversible Grill to a very hot temperature and for best results, slice thin and across the grain. Author: Jennifer Graves – @gardengatebread (IG/facebook)
Flank Steak Marinade
1 1/2 -2 pounds flank steak pounded to an even, thin thickness to tenderize and for even cooking
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
3 to 4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves (can sub 2 tsp dried oregano)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Finely chop the parsley, fresh oregano, and garlic (or pulse in a food processor). Place in a small bowl.
- Stir in olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- If refrigerated, return to room temperature before serving.
For Flank Steak
- Combine marinade ingredients together in a freezer-size Ziploc bag. Add steak, press out excess air, and seal.
- Massage marinade into the steak with your hands through the outside of the bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2- 12 hours.
- Preheat All American grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill steak for 5-6 minutes per side, or until an internal thermometer reads 130-135 degrees F for medium rare or around 140 degrees for medium. Grill time will depend on thickness of your steak and desired level of doneness.
- Remove the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice steak into thin strips against the grain (perpendicular to the long strands) and drizzle with chimichurri sauce