Sweet and Sour Chicken
5 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in bite size pieces
2 large green peppers, chopped
2 large red peppers, chopped
2 onions, chopped
3 - 20 oz cans of pineapple chunks, reserve juice (4th can for more juice/fruit optional)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
6 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp ginger
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Cut onions & peppers into bite size pieces.
- Layer in order: raw chicken, veggies and pineapple in quart jars.
- Heat the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger and 3 cups of pineapple juice (add water if not enough - or use 4th can) and bring to a light boil to dissolve sugar.
- Pour liquid over the solids in the jars with 1" headspace.
- Wipe rims, add lids, place in canner.
- Vent for 10 minutes.
- Bring to 10# pressure (see altitude chart below).
- Start timer for 90m after pressure is achieved.
- Turn off heat, let pressure cooker come down to zero pressure on its own.
- Remove pressure cooker lid and let jars stand 5 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool for 12-24 hours on a towel/cutting board. Check lids for seals; they should not flex when the center is pressed.
- Wash jars in warm soapy water, label and store in pantry.
*Note: Jars and lids do not need to be heated prior to processing.
|Altitude in Feet||Weighted Gauge||Dial Gauge|